Weekly Update #2 - Exploring the Game World with the InteractiveArea2D recipe
On Friday I finished proofreading the InteractiveArea2D recipe and it is already up at the attached file(Platformer Essentials Cookbook - Early Access v0.3.0).
This is one of the coolest recipes in this book and is the core of future recipes.
With InteractiveArea2Ds we can turn any object in the game world into an actual game object. Something that makes part of the game and isn't just an aesthetic choice.
What about turning that rock in front of a house into a part of a mystery that players can solve? Just drag an instance of the InteractiveArea2D to it, connect the interacted signal and tell your story! More ideas? What about that:
- NPCs that when interacted with, show dialogue boxes
- Treasure chests that when interacted with, drop loot
- Warning signs that when interacted with, give hints to players
- Loot on the floor that once interacted with, go to the player's inventory or display a message telling a story.
- House doors that once interacted with teleport the player inside the house? Ohh, no...wait this is the upcoming recipe, the Portal2D!
Coming this week
I'm about to finish proofreading the Portal2D chapter, which will allow us to connect the places and locations of our game world!
With that, we are almost finishing the proofreading phase:
|Proofread||Yet to proofread|
|✔ BasicMovingCharacter2D||✖ Portal2D|
|✔ PassThroughCharacter2D||✖ Checkpoint2D|
|✔ MovingPlatform2D||✖ Switch2D|
That's it! Thank you so much for your support
Keep developing, and until the next week!~
Get Platformer Essential Recipes
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.